Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Eat your vegetables

Ok, you didn't think the 3-day interval between posts would last, did you?

Friday morning I got my knee taped again at physical therapy, and then ran on it Friday night. The tape job seems to help, it's just awkward as heck. About an hour afterward, the lateral side of my knee started barking just like clockwork and stayed that way for the rest of the night.

Saturday...I had to drive down to Detroit to pick up my parents and brother from the airport and drive them home, and a funny thing happened during the trip. This was the first time I went down there since the marathon and I drove the same car that I drove to get to the race. Well, after I got home and settled in, I felt the same feeling of weakness that was there the night before the marathon. Granted, I had no idea what it was the night before the marathon and I just attributed it to first-race jitters. Now I'm better educated about it, and I know it's not a good feeling. So I was bummed all day Saturday. Sunday morning I didn't really feel anything, so I did 6 pleasant miles on the elliptical. Things felt fine immediately afterward, but then about an hour after that the "weakness" came back. Sure, it's not pain, but it's still something.

Monday was more physical therapy and the exercises seemed to make it feel better to an extent, and then today it just sort of was....there. I don't know, it's just sort of hard to explain. It doesn't hurt but there's still something there. I had a long day today - volunteer work from 6:45-11:45am and Playmakers from 1-5:30pm. After that I went grocery shopping, and during the shopping and the ride home, I slowly but surely convinced myself to skip a workout tonight. I was on my feet most of the day and my knee doesn't feel 100%, so why risk it?

Speaking of work, I'm still getting hours at Playmakers. When I arrived yesterday, they asked me what my schedule looks like, so that's a good sign. I think by the end of the week I'll know for sure whether or not they're gonna retain me for good.

On a random note, in the past couple of years I've been guilty of becoming a bit mean and grumpy, mostly due to the stresses of higher-level college courses and the work that comes along with it. Since then I've been trying to buy into the attitude that I shouldn't take life too seriously or I'll get eaten alive. Case in point: Tonight I treated myself to some macaroni and cheese for dinner and decided to make some frozen vegetables on the side. I heated them up in the microwave, no problem, but when I took the bowl out of the microwave and tried to set it on the table, the bowl slipped out of my hands and slid across the table. Time seemed to move in slow motion as I saw the bowl get closer and closer to the edge of despair, and finally I could only watch in disgust as the bowl toppled over onto the ground. Needless to say, everything had escaped the bowl and a cleaning job was in my immediate future. I was upset for a couple seconds, but then just kind of shrugged and laughed off the whole thing. No use in letting a small situation get the best of me. It's may be a little thing, but it's a start in removing my sometimes grumpy attitudes. This whole paragraph was for Melissa....hopefully she's reading this.

Play on, playas.

1 Comments:

At Wed Jan 24, 09:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean when you say your knee doesn't hurt, but it's just "there." It doesn't have to hurt. That thereness (new word!) does mean something. After an injury we become hyper-aware of anything in that area. So, listen to it!

It sounds to me like taping your knee is like taking aspirin. It feels better temporarily, but it's just masking reality. Just a thought! :)

Thanks for the exercise ideas for plantar fasciitis. I'm getting pretty frustrated with it. And, now for some reason my ITband has started acting up again. I have an appt. with my therapist on Friday - it can't come soon enough. If I find any wonderful new exercises, I'll let you know. :) Good luck with your knee!

Oh - and I'm happy to hear you're still getting work hours! And that your grumpiness is fading. Maybe having less stress (being done with college) will turn you into a bundle of joy! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home