Monday, December 04, 2006

I could do without the ice

This is what school does to me, especially when finals are looming next week - it doesn't leave me much time to sit down and write a post on here. So I apologize to those who wanna know what's up with my knee...

Wednesday I had my appointment with the sports med doc. He examined my x-rays and that he's not going to give me any orthotics or anything. Sure, my leg bones are a little different length in each leg, but I've got a very good core where I'm effectively compensating for that. He said the tilt of 0.2cm is pretty normal and that the smallest orthotics he prescribes are for people who have a hip tilt of at least 0.5cm, and even that isn't that bad.

Based on how I thought my knee felt and based on his pokes and prods to test the stability of the knee and such, he also said I can probably start running again. Hell yes! The problem was I didn't have time to do it until Friday, but whatever - this was very good news to me. He also referred me to a physical therapist, so I set up an appointment for tomorrow. Basically they're gonna be able to get some ultrasound on there to stimulate the deep muscle and get my knee over the hump. So anyway, I wasn't planning on running til Friday...

Oh Friday.

Overnight Thursday into Friday we got the huge winter storm that the rest of the country got, but most of our weather was ice rather than snow. So I don't know if it was because I had to walk on ice or if it was because the temp changed so drastically overnight, but my knee hurt really bad on Friday. I'll tell you, it's awkward looking at the weather report on Wednesday, seeing that it's 63 degrees outside and that you're under a winter storm watch.

Anyway, Friday was bad and I didn't run. Saturday and Sunday it got progressively better, and it felt real good today. I did some extra biking at the fitness center today and ended up doing about 11 total miles throughout the day, and it really doesn't feel bad at all. So I'm hoping that some ultrasound or whatever tomorrow will make it feel excellent.

Not to mention that these extra stretches and exercises I've been doing have really been helping. Keep on keeping on....

3 Comments:

At Tue Dec 05, 01:16:00 PM, Blogger Jess said...

Ugh tell me about.....the last days of class are killing me....everyon'es trying to cram in their last papers/tests/assignments....so much for running at all

glad to hear your knee is doing better. hopefully you'll def. be able to get some quality miles in once the semester is over

 
At Thu Dec 07, 09:43:00 PM, Blogger Sonia said...

Hey I just discovered your blog! I was looking for people who ran the Detroit marathon this year and read about their experience... I might run next year.

Congrats on the great time =) Good luck on finals and hope your knee heals well.

 
At Fri Dec 08, 09:14:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe that storm was a blessing in disguise. Sounds like your knee needed a little extra time off. I do think that cold weather aggravates it though - I experienced that. I hope the physical therapy makes a difference. Good luck with your first run. Try a real short run, like a mile - just to be safe. I don't want you to go through my nightmare, so sorry about all the advice, but you're stuck with it. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home