Monday, January 15, 2007

Working hard or hardly working?

Well I guess 5 days between posts isn't as bad as 6 days...

During the day on Wednesday I ended up getting used to the tape job on my knee and I ran 4 miles on the treadmill that night. It sort of seemed to help...I mean, it just kind of felt like any other run. From what I remember, nothing seemed to be really hurting either.

Thursday was the longest day ever...up at 5:30 to help a professor from 6:30-11:30am, then work (more on that in a second) from 12:30-5pm, then my Kaplan class for the MCAT from 6-9pm. Somehow I survived, don't ask me how!

Friday morning my physical therapist taped my knee again, I worked in the afternoon, and then ran that night in the rain! It was light enough to make it bearable but hard enough to make it fun. The knee felt great, but then it started barking a little bit once I ended the run and stretched and whatnot.

Saturday I did upper body but also threw in a light 5 mile stationary bike ride in there and things felt fine. Sunday morning it snowed a couple inches (finally) and I set out to run 8 miles. Things were going great until about halfway through when I hit a spot where somebody had shoveled and my IT band didn't enjoy it too much. I stopped to stretch it and then went a few more feet before it started bugging me again. I rolled up my spandex to see if there was any noticeable damage, which there wasn't, but then the big lightbulb illuminated above my head - why not use the spandex as a makeshift compression band? Long story short, I ran the last 4 miles with the spandex one one leg rolled up and the other leg normal. I'm pretty sure I looked like a goofball, but that's ok, I'm used to it. The leg felt fine during the rest of the run but has been bugging me a bit since then. This morning it wasn't bad at all, and it also feels better now that I had physical therapy this morning.

Anyway, about work - this weekend Playmakers had their bi-annual sidewalk sale and they always hire more people solely to help out during the weekend. Well I decided to get my foot in the door and send in an application to work the weekend. Every now and then they retain a couple of those people after the sale depending on if they need it, so I hope that's what happens with me. They recently were rated as one of the 50 best running stores in the country, so I think that would be an honor. Everybody there has been helpful for whenever I had a question, and their attention to detail is just amazing. Anyway, I'm hoping for the best!

And of course I want my leg to fully feel better...it's frustrating.

2 Comments:

At Mon Jan 15, 06:04:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand your frustration. Keep your focus and keep paying attention to every little thing your body does. You'll be there eventually. Remember, if something doesn't seem to be working, don't keep doing it. Try something else. That was my biggest issue. I kept trying to give everything the benefit of the doubt for too long.

Good luck with getting a job at the running store. That'd be great. :)

 
At Mon Jan 15, 10:27:00 PM, Blogger Jess said...

Good luck getting the job at the running store. That would be awesome! And good luck with your MCAT's when the eventual date for those rolls around!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home