Sunday, December 31, 2006

2006 in review

First things first: Thursday I went back to the so-called track and was planning on going 4 miles. Around 3 and a quarter, I didn't feel quite right. My knee/IT band wasn't hurting but my mind was thinking that it was gonna hurt any second, so I stopped and stretched it out just in case. Just like chicken soup for the common cold, it was a great remedy and I ran the last 3/4 of a mile without any problems. It's great when stuff like that happens, eh? Friday I wanted to see how things held up by running on consecutive days, so I did an easy 3 at the same place. Sure enough, things were great.

But great was short-lived. I don't have the luxury of having a foam roller out here, so I've had to improvise. The sports med doc I went to see about a month and a half ago recommended filling a two-liter bottle with water, sticking it in the freezer, and then using that as a roller once it has completely frozen over. Well, I did that and my IT band definitely didn't respond well to it. The bottle was just hard as a rock and didn't have any give like a foam roller does.

Saturday there was just a dull pain, but I knew that was from the two-liter bottle. I went snorkeling and swimming and things seemed to feel fine. This morning, I was planning on just walking around (since that never hurts now) and maybe jogging a mile if things felt alright. Well, that turned into 4 miles. I jogged 2.5, walked around for about 20 minutes, and then jogged another 1.5 before I felt a slight burn in my knee, so I called it a day. Grand total for the year - 869 miles.

Enough of that... here's my analysis on 2006, the year that was:

It ROCKED because: I bought new racing flats and - in my first race after that - shattered my 5K PR by a whopping 22 seconds. I also ran two other 5K's faster than the PR I had before said flats. I set a 10-mile PR by over 2 minutes, albeit in my second ever 10-mile race. I got the courage to sign up for, train for, and run a full marathon. And, saving the best for last, qualified for Boston!

It SUCKED because: Injuries, injuries, injuries. Two in particular, which I've spent much time blogging about: my calf tendonitis in mid-summer and the IT band syndrome of recent times. It all adds up to two months of running straight down the proverbial drain.

I ran 869 miles this year, and had recently been somewhat disappointed because somewhere down the line I had decided that my goal was 1000. As I was looking back at my log, I read a goal I made on January 1, 2006: Run 750 miles this year. Well, I certainly accomplished that feat and I'm really not sure where the push for 1000 came from. I also had made two other goals - stretch every day (I think I missed only 6 days) and do 100 pushups AND situps each day. The second goal kind of fizzled out after January, but I still do my fair share of situps and pushups.

As for 2007, my main goal is to run 1000 miles. I know it's not that hard (and all my non-running buddies are probably thinking "that's a load of shit!") because it's only 19 miles a week. The bulk of that mainly relies on one thing, otherwise known as my second goal: stay injury free! Maybe I'll come up with a couple more goals in the next week, but nonetheless, the new year brings a clean slate and a boatload of optimism.

Anyway, happy new year to everyone. I can't block quote this because I'm using Safari out here, and Safari doesn't fly that way, so I'll just plainly type my last quote of 2006....

"It's been a long December and there's reason to believe that maybe this year will be better than the last." --The Counting Crows

1 Comments:

At Mon Jan 01, 01:20:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year! Overall, 2006 sounds like it was pretty successful. I know, injuries always mess everything up, but you had lots of positives.

Rolling a frozen bottle over the ITband, does sound painful! Make sure you allow some time for that pain to go away. You're on the right path. The running is back, just keep taking it slow. And, way to go on listening to your body!

Good luck with your goals for 2007! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home