Monday, May 21, 2007

Form first

It doesn't seem like I have much going on since school is out for the summer, but work and other things have been keeping me busy....

As I was reading over my last post, I thought of a couple other things I wanted to add in. As we were talking about good running form one day at work, somebody chimed in with "You're told to run, but you're not told how." And it's true...we just do it, and with all due respect to arm/torso motion, nobody really corrects how the feet are hitting the ground. Ok I said I had a couple things, but that's all I could remember...

As for me, I'm not so excited now as I was when I wrote my last post. My knee went back to feeling just like it had been, and now I'm back to the drawing board again. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be calling a doc and a physical therapist tomorrow to get their opinions on what I should do, so we'll see what happens.

If there's one thing to be excited about, it's this: I was in Chicago last weekend to see my cousin get married, and I was working out one night after dinner. As I was stretching and watching basketball, I looked around and saw all these nice treadmills....and it was just me in the room....and finally I thought, screw it. I ran a mile, trying out my new form. It felt great, and I counted my footfalls per minute three times - 174, 180, 178. I could definitely notice that I was hitting with a greater frequency, and I know that 180 is the number to aim for. Nothing felt bad after that run, so I thought I was on the right track.

I tried it again this past week and my footfalls were about the same, this time I got to a high of 186. And nothing hurt while I was doing it. The problem was, my knee just felt funky about an hour afterward and for the rest of the day as well. So....it's all frustrating, I know I've voiced my concerns about that many times over the past 6 months. Just gotta be more patient I guess....and maybe I won't wait so long to type my next post!

1 Comments:

At Sun May 27, 09:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like the new form is working well. Sorry about the knee - still. :( I know it gets hard to post when you don't run as much. That's where I'm at right now. But, keep posting - we like to see how you're doing! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home