Tuesday, March 20, 2007

That's just how it is...

One of these days I'll actually write down my ideas when I think of them, that way I won't forget what I want to type about.

Really it's the same old story here, nothing new to report. I'm still in the rehab stage, but it seems now I've got more "fight in the dog", so to speak. In the past couple months I've been trying to go on the elliptical and have even done some runs outside/on the treadmill, and it just all took me back the drawing board because I wasn't completely healed yet. That's always been my problem with running, and I'm sure any other runner can relate to it - we just want to get back out there as fast as we can, hoping there will be no repercussions.

As of late, I've been very good to myself in keeping up with my exercises and stretching, as well as icing when the need surfaces. I've also been trying to be very good in keeping a positive attitude and having confidence that everything will be better sooner than later. Sometimes there's a rotten day placed in there somewhere, but I just have to look past that and get back on the fast track of optimism.

In the past week I've watched a LOT of sports, which is really pretty normal for me. But I've heard announcers in different games speak of (on at least 3 different occasions) an athlete who had a moderate to severe injury and took a lot of time off, and now they're back to playing again. And it may be weird that I heard of 3 cases such as this in the span of a week, but it made me think that I just happen to be one of those people as well. Did I wanna run the Boston Marathon this year? You bet your ass I did. Did I wanna some of the local 5K's this spring/summer? Heck yes. Are either of them going to be a reality? No on the marathon and probably not on the 5K's, and the hardest part has been telling myself that I'm not going to be running another race for a while...I was thinking July at the earliest, because once I recover I gotta build myself a solid base so that I don't rush back into things and hurt myself even more. But even July may be generous. That's just how it is...I ran the last 11 miles of the Detroit Marathon with the IT Band from Hell, so really I shouldn't be surprised that it has taken me so long to get back to normal.

And tomorrow's another day. As I lay down to go to sleep tonight, I'll do what I do each night and tell myself to be patient, that I'll be back out there before I know it. But right now I'm logging my miles on the road to recovery, and that's just how it is.

2 Comments:

At Thu Mar 22, 09:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like you're on the right track - thinking positive, being patient, and not trying to rush back into running. Refer back to this post whenever you get frustrated or start to lose motivation. It will be a good reminder to yourself! :) We're getting there. It just takes time. One thing runners aren't too fond of. :) You WILL beat this! As you heard, many other athletes have been here and have made it back.

 
At Fri Mar 23, 12:34:00 AM, Blogger Jess said...

YAY it's soooo good to hear from you again!!!!! (Not all the !!!!'s)

I totally have you on list of Other RUnning Blogs...in fact you are first on the list!!!!

I had Maryland winning it all I'm sorry they let you down in your bracket :o( Unfortunately I too had MSU losing to UNC although I was secretly pulling for the upset. All these number 1 seeds left are making me nervous....where's a good Cinderalla team when you need one.

P.S. It makes me sad that you don't update your blog as much anymore. :o( <--- look at that sad face!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home