Monday, June 04, 2007

A glimmer of hope

Apparently I enjoy writing posts on Monday nights...anyway, I suppose this will be a happy post, and you'll soon find out why.

Last Tuesday marked 7 months since the marathon and the beginning of my knee problems. In the morning I swam a mile and also biked a mile getting to and from the pool. After dinner I was thinking about how it's been SO long that I've been dealing with this, so I said screw it, I'm gonna complete the "mile triathlon" and go run a mile. I did and it felt grrrrrrreat. And it felt the same the next morning. :) So I did it again the next night and had the same result. Yeaaaaaaa!

The only bad part was my calves were pretty sore, since this new form stresses the muscles a bit more, but that's something my body will get accustomed to, for sure. The other bad part is that I stepped wrong on something the other day, so now the bottom of my left foot is sore....so I'm waiting for that to heal up before I try running again.

All in all, I really really do think this alignment business is working. And it darn well should, all the logistics make sense. I had forgotten to mention this in my last post, but it reminds me of the place that Annette goes to that helped/is helping her come back from injury. It's so weird how our running situations are parallel...

I had a session on Friday where Todd added a few more exercises, especially ones that focus on muscles that fire (or are supposed to) in the running stride, and that felt good. Sunday I went in and tried things on my own, and then tomorrow I've got another appointment. Todd pretty much kicks my ass, but it's all definitely been worth it so far.

This past Friday was the Cooley Law School 5K (picture - top 3 finishers), which was the 5th race (out of 12) in the Playmakers Race Series, and last year's version also happens to be the last 5K that I have run. So it was a little bittersweet that I couldn't run it, but oh well. The next 4 races (all 5K's) are on July 7, July 22, August 12, and September 9. My hopes are to make it back by the August 12 race, but maybe I'll do the July 22 race if things go well in recovery. The x-factor is me - I gotta be determined in this alignment process and I still gotta keep a postive attitude about everything.
"I'm confident you're gonna see results real soon. And by soon, I don't mean many weeks to months - I mean just a couple of weeks." --Todd at Synergy Fitness

2 Comments:

At Tue Jun 05, 11:14:00 AM, Blogger Jess said...

I hope Todd is right and that this alignment stuff will help and it will only take a couple more weeks, not months. I'm crossing my fingers for you!

 
At Sat Jun 09, 03:54:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like the good streak is continuing! :) Doesn't it feel good to put your energy into something again? I'm confident you'll be a running machine SOON! :) Take care!

It IS weird how our running issues have been so similar. That's the beauty of the running community. It's nice to know you aren't the only one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home