Thursday, July 20, 2006

Speed of light

So let's see....I gotta recap two days worth of running in this post.

Tuesday I did a short three mile run in the morning. I really don't remember too much of it, probably because I had just woken up...but I vaguely remember that nothing hurt on my lower leg. So yea....three miles.

This morning I got up early once again and hit up the outdoor track next to the football stadium shortly after 6am. I'm feeling well enough now that I'm gonna follow my marathon plan as best as I can from here on out. Right now I'm in the middle of week 2 out of 16 leading up to the big day. Anyway, my workout had me tagged for a fairly light speed work session...at least I considered it to be fairly light. It kind of makes it harder when you're not fully awake. The "light" speed session was a one mile warm-up, 2 x 1600m at 5:41 pace with 800m jogs after, and a one mile cool down for a total of 5 miles. The first mile gave me splits of 1:26.18, 1:29.21, 1:27.81, and 1:24.33 for a total of 5:47.53. So I was 6 seconds slower than what I was going for, so I chalked it up to still being tired. I gave myself a mental slap in the face, then ran the second mile with splits of 1:25.03, 1:25.66, 1:27.10, and 1:19.74 for a total of 5:37.53. Ahhh yea, much better! Exactly 10 seconds better than the first mile....weird how that works out. Averaging the two gives me a 5:42 pace, which is good enough for me. I remember that I had a little bit of tenderness in the beginning of all the running but that quickly went away and then didn't bother me at all the rest of the day. Coming up on Saturday I have myself pegged for a 9 mile run, so we'll see what happens with that. I may have to shorten it up a bit again depending on how I feel, or even break it up into two runs, but I'm pretty confident I can make it through.

I also decided that I'm not gonna run Ele's Race on Sunday. I just feel that since I'm finally getting back into the swing of things that I shouldn't rush it and run all out. I'm a competitive guy and I know that will happen, even if I try to slow it down a bit. I've got like two speed sessions under my belt since I've come back too, so I might as well stay on the safe side of this one.

2 Comments:

At Thu Aug 10, 10:25:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»

 
At Wed Aug 16, 06:32:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home