Friday, June 23, 2006

Mass chaos

To be completely honest, I really haven't had any free time since Monday night, so this is the first chance I have had to create a post. This internship I'm doing with the tennis camp is really keeping me busy!

So we're on week 3, day 6 without running. That jog with the dog didn't count because it was just a jog for a maybe a quarter mile, if that. First things first though, I had a flare up in my leg on Tuesday. It was enough to get me frustrated and also make sure I'm still really being careful with this. So I tried to sit down as much as I could when I got the opportunity on Tuesday, and then did the icing/warm compress routine when I got home. On Wednesday it was raining, which was good for me because obviously we didn't have to be outside helping the kids play tennis. Problem was, we had to squeegee (sp?) the courts....and let me tell you, that is probably one of the most boring jobs ever. We've got a lot of courts out there too, I think there's like 20. But really, that's all I was ever on my feet during the course of the day. We also started a mock singles tournament during the afternoon after the rain stopped, and all we had to do was sit and watch them while giving tips and help when they needed it. So that was great. Wednesday night we took the kids to play frisbee and soccer on the indoor field in the football building. The field they have there is that new turf stuff where it's ground up tire rubber...that seemed to be very kind to my leg, because I did a bit of jogging to catch up to the frisbees and nothing really bothered me.

Thursday and today were pretty much the same deal as Wednesday, but this time we put together a Davis Cup style doubles tournament. To make a long story short, I didn't have to do much on either day, so I often got to sit and watch some good tennis until something came up that I had to attend to. One of those things that I had to attend to was taking kids to the training room in the football building if they got hurt. The good part about this is that I was able to ask a trainer about what I should do with my leg. I told him what the doctor said, and he pretty much said the same thing of icing/heating as well as stretching. He gave me a couple stretches that I've already been doing, but he also gave me a couple of new ones that made sense, but I just never thought of them. So during the past couple days when I was resting and watching tennis, I made good use of the time and did some of those stretches/exercises. Low and behold, they really did wonders for me because I'm feeling tons better....I'd say I'm back to where I was last weekend.

Yesterday (Thursday) I got up early and did 4 miles on the elliptical before the internship, and today we got out at 12:30pm, so I did an afternoon workout of 3 miles on the elliptical and then lifted weights. I mixed in some forward pedaling and some backward pedaling on both days, and none of that bothered my calf, which is still a very good sign. Tomorrow I'm planning on going biking with my buddy Greg out in Williamston, which has some open roads about 25 minutes east of here. We agreed on 15-20 miles, but we'll see how we both feel tomorrow. Even though I REALLY wanna get back out there and run, I feel like this is sort of a blessing in disguise because I feel like I'm cross training more than ever and it's maintaining my fitness level better than I thought it would.

1 Comments:

At Sun Jun 25, 11:40:00 PM, Blogger Jess said...

oh man sucks about your flair up!!!
p.s. are you on facebook...yeah i totally just asked that (i have a small facebook addiction)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home