Saturday, June 10, 2006

On second thought...

Week 1, day 7 without running. I went 4 more miles on the elliptical today while I was watching the World Cup, and I started thinking about what I posted yesterday. I mentioned something about how my ankle excessively pronates when my foot strikes the ground and how it makes the peroneus longus muscle work harder to keep the ankle joint stable...well, what if this isn't a stress fracture on my fibula and it's actually something wrong with my peroneal muscles? I've been icing this injury to no end but I haven't been treating it with any heat. So while I was in the shower after the workout, I took a minute to massage the area under the hot water and it actually felt great after the shower. So twice more today I iced the area and then massaged it with a warm washcloth - it really seems to be helping. I guess it also helped that I wasn't on my feet much at all today.

Depending on how this injury heals, I'm thinking of crossing the two 5Ks in July off of my list and just concentrating on the Run Thru Hell 10 miler in August. I'm also still planning on starting marathon training on July 10 as of right now, so that will give me a good 5 weeks to get back in the swing of things. Just thinking about that puts me in a good mood...I guess it's part of that first marathon excitement :)

Speaking of the World Cup...when players get slide tackled and hit the ground, why do they ALWAYS have to lay on the ground and writhe in pain? Not 10 seconds later, it seems like they're always back on their feet and running around as if nothing happened.

Anyway...we'll see how my leg feels after tomorrow and then I'll make a definite executive decision on calling the doc.

3 Comments:

At Sun Jun 11, 01:17:00 PM, Blogger Jess said...

Thanks for the note...it's nice to know that I'm not the only one suffering through annoying injuries. Which marathon are you running in this fall? I'm doing the Baltimore Marathon, but I'm nervous with all this missed time because of injuries that I might not be able to finish...but I don't know it's a long way off yet! Anyway sorry that got so long and rambling. Good luck with your marathon!

 
At Mon Jun 12, 01:50:00 PM, Blogger Chad said...

First off, nice header. It looks good.

Second, I'd be VERY surprised if you had a stress fracture. Sure you jumped from 20 to 30 mpw, but that's really not a lot of miles. Actually, I'm REALLY impressed that you can run low-17s off of such little mileage.

Whether or not the injury is a bone or muscle or something else - go to the Doctor!!! Seriously, I've basically wasted 2 months of training, don't let it happen to you.

 
At Mon Jun 12, 01:51:00 PM, Blogger Chad said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home