Saturday, May 27, 2006

Feeling good, feeling great

Well...I felt really good when I went to bed last night that I had every intention of running when I got up this morning. And everything held together because I got out there! When I did my warmup around the block, the first few steps brought some pain to my calf, but it was almost like it dissolved away after those first few steps. Like sugar in water, it was the weirdest thing. But hey, I wasn't complaining. The actual run went well too, I did a good job of daydreaming so that I didn't 'make' the pain come back by thinking about it. I was gonna do 3 miles just as a precaution, but when I got to my checkpoint where I can stretch it into another mile, it was almost as if my body led me into that extra mile. Like it was telling me 'Ok, we're doing fine buddy, let's do this." So I ending up going 4 miles and felt good the whole way. Probably a lot of it had to do with the fact that nobody is on campus this weekend, so I had the whole river trail to myself, save for a couple of walkers and bikers. That's what I love about this campus, it's so peaceful and scenic, you just gotta take time to enjoy it.

It was 78 degrees and humid and I felt a bit lightheaded when I got done, and I'm taking that as a blessing in disguise. I've hydrated myself well the past few days because I know it's supposed to be hot this week, but the lightheaded-ness was another distraction away from my calf. It didn't hurt for most of the day, but I was on my feet a lot today so it's a bit aggravated now, so I'm gonna ice it before I hit the sack, and then see how it feels in the morning. Tomorrow's my rest day, so that means I ran 16 miles this week. It's not 20-25, but I'm fine with that because I don't wanna increase the mileage too fast. I think that's what got me in trouble in the first place.

The Bayshore Marathon was today....Nathan Usher won it in 2:24:09, he's a fast kid. I really feel for my friend Megan though, she's run a couple marathons before but she was really looking forward to this one because she raised a bunch of money for it. But she instant messaged me the other day and told me she separated her shoulder, so she had to withdraw. I really hope that heals up quick...she said she's gonna run either Chicago or Detroit in October too.

One more thing before I call it a night...I suscribe to a quote-a-day thing, and I got one yesterday that I really like:

"Always behave like a duck - keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath." --Jacob Braude
Like the little engine that could :) So yea. I would like to say that describes me but I feel like I've gotten away from that lately. But that's a story for another rainy day.

1 Comments:

At Wed May 31, 08:55:00 AM, Blogger Chad said...

Ha, Brad Johnson the Vikings QB always mentions that quote. I thought he just made it up himself.

Thanks for visiting my blog. I responded your comment with another comment on my blog. Hopefully Susan can help you out with your header.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home