Monday, June 26, 2006

I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa...

If there's one thing I've discovered, it's that I've been MEGA busy as of late, so it's been tough to find time to type a post.

Me and my buddy Greg ended up biking 21 miles on Saturday. It was nice because we don't see each other too much anymore. He just graduated from Western Michigan and is about to head down to Florida to start his new career. We went on a pretty good pace for the whole ride with a couple of stops in the middle, and it was a good course with plenty of nice but not too steep hills. On the last mile, we both agreed to do one final sprint, so we both biked as fast as we could and that really helped. We were so dead at the end, it made us wonder how the heck some people have enough energy left to finish Ironman triathlons! I mean, we know it's all about the training but still....that's a lot of work. Oh and Greg told me he reads this, so I gotta give a shoutout to him.

Sunday I took a day off, but my calf was feeling much better. Today (Week 4, day 2 without running) I did an early workout before the tennis camp by doing the usual 4 miles on the elliptical. No news is good news - I was able to pedal forward and backward without any pain. Everything seems to be feeling so much better, but I still can sense something there. Mostly I think that I'm making it do that because I tend to think about it a lot during the day. I've gotta stop overthinking.

If there's one thing to be really happy about, it was my day at camp today :) Part of my internship with the camp is to work on general fitness and get the campers in better playing shape. So what we did today was some jump roping, then the game where there's 5 cones and they gotta put one ball at a time on each cone, and then some general shuffling and hopping skills. We also made one of the groups do suicide sprints because they weren't listening to directions at all. If you don't know what that is, it's where you sprint to a line, then sprint back, then sprint to a line a little farther away, sprint back, sprint to a line still farther away, sprint back, and so on. We made the kids go 5 lines today, but we did in a competitive way. One of the "teams" had one less person than the others, so I jumped in as the extra person. I was a bit worried of what might happen with my calf...but to be perfectly honest, it felt a lot better after I was done. How does that work?!? Then we did a little partner drill with the jump rope and one person didn't have a partner, so I went with them. Jump roping felt just fine too! So I really think I'm about to come back to running. Hell yes!

I've also mentioned in previous posts that I spend time working with a kid with Down Syndrome for a summer class I'm taking. Well, tonight I was to do my last hour and half with him. When I got there, the parents asked if I was hungry, I said yes since I hadn't had dinner yet, and they said they'd take me out as a token of their appreciation of working with their child. Next sentence - "You like PF Changs?" If there's anything that could cap off a good day, it was that :) So we spent our last hour and half by eating gooooood food. When they brought all the meals out though, the dish they gave to Jason (the kid with DS) had chicken and not shrimp. Jason HATES chicken. So, on account of their mistake, they told us to just keep the dish and they wouldn't charge us for it, and they'd bring Jason the correct dish. And if you've been to PF Changs, you know that their portions are large and in charge. Well, I finished all of mine....I can be a beast at the dinner table. But there was still a ton of food left on the table, so we boxed it up. Jason's parents said that they'd probably end up throwing it out, so they gave it to me so that me and my roomates can eat it. All in all, we have a bunch of food from PF Changs in our fridge...which is nice :)

One more note - congrats to Oregon State on winning the baseball national championship tonight, but the intriguing story is of the coach's son. He's been brain damaged since birth, but LOVES his sports. Check it out here. My brother is autistic, so that's why I find this to be extra special.

1 Comments:

At Tue Jun 27, 08:08:00 AM, Blogger Jess said...

suicides...ahh reminds me of basketball practice in grade school

truth be told i was pulling for UNC in the CWS...gotta go with the ACC...but they choked big time (too bad doesn't happen when we play them)

sooo glad to hear you're almost back to running! that's awesome!

p.s. i totally just facebook friended you

sorry about the rambling ways of this note it's still a bit early for me to function properly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home