Thursday, July 27, 2006

Awkward...

I saw that strip from Mother Goose and Grimm the other day and I almost spit out my lunch from laughing :)

Wednesday morning I did an early morning tempo run which my plan called for 1 mile of warmup, 3 miles at 6:01 pace, and 1 mile cool down for a total of 5 miles. So what I did was run 1 mile to IM West, did 3 miles on the treadmill at 6:00 pace, and ran 1 mile back home. Simple enough. If anything, I felt sort of heavy during the run but that also has to do with the fact that I had just woken up, so it took a little bit of mental toughness to get through it.

Yesterday was also the end of my internship with the tennis camps (hell yea!), so all the pros and I went on a bar crawl to some bars in East Lansing. It sounds fun but it was weird for me....I sort of felt out of place. I've only known those guys for 6 weeks at most and have only talked to them in the tennis setting, and most of the pros have known each other for much longer and have hung out a bunch as well. Plus I didn't drink. Well, I had two shots with the group to celebrate the end of camps, but nothing more, and it got extra awkward hanging out around drunk kids that I don't know too well. It also annoyed me too because I'm not much of a drinker, and in a drinking college town, a lot of people think that everytime you go to the bar it's a requirement to get shitfaced. I guess I won't get into that, but at the end of the night I felt like I just didn't belong so I got out of there and headed home.

Today I was thinking of doing an easy 3-4 mile run, but I instead opted to bike 6 miles and lift weights because I hadn't done that in a good week and a half. It was nice but it was so humid out today that it took an extra effort to do things.

On a final note, in response to Zeke's comment from a couple of posts ago, you may have noticed that I have races on 4 straight weekends in September/October. They're all part of the Playmakers Race Series and I ran 3 of them last year, but due to my marathon training this fall, I've pretty much decided that I'm gonna scratch three of them off the list and run only one of them....most likely the 10 miler. I really want redemption from last year - it was my first 10 miler and I bonked at mile 8. Which reminds me, I'm running the course with my buddy BJ on Saturday morning so I'm pretty confident he can help me keep a good pace over 10 miles. Another reason I'm scratching three races off is that I wanna focus on getting some quality long runs each weekend as well as building up my mileage for the big day. I'll make a definite decision about those races sooner than later though.

4 Comments:

At Fri Jul 28, 01:28:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on finishing your tennis internship! Are you going to go into coaching or something?

I hear you about feeling awkward - I'm not a drinker, so those outings can get kind of uncomfortable sometimes. Just be yourself (sounds like you're pretty good at that.)

Keep up the quality running!

 
At Fri Jul 28, 01:57:00 PM, Blogger Jess said...

Yay! for your internship being over! I've still got three weeks left of mine. I go right up til it's time to move back in!

I'm not a big drinker either, so I hear ya about the awkwardness that stuff like that can be and College Park is pretty much all about the drinking

Anyway, glad to hear your runs are going well and not causing you too many problems!

 
At Sat Jul 29, 12:13:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey good job on your intership! Also, I don't like to drink eaither and the bar is not my type of place, I can't stand drinking eaither. I just wish you could make one of my awesome dreams come true. Maybe you will try:-). Write me back on facebook or something thanks.

RebecaMSUFan1

 
At Sun Jul 30, 11:24:00 PM, Blogger Justin said...

Annette - I don't wanna go into coaching, we just need to get any kind of internship in for a kinesiology degree, and I felt like this one best fit my schedule. As far as what I really wanna do....that's a blog post for another rainy day ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home