Sunday, August 27, 2006

Where did I go??

So I haven't posted in a while. Blame it on band...for most of the last week and a half, I was involved with the annual preseason drills for the Spartan Marching Band. It all meant that I woke up, left the house, came home, slept, rinsed and repeated daily. It was a grind this week but we got through it. We've got 13 new trombones out of 34 total, so we've got a young section this year. Our first game is this Saturday here against Idaho, but I'll talk more about that and other band stuff in later posts. There's plenty of time for that.

Last weekend I did a 14 mile run and it was probably one of the tougher runs I've ever done. It was early in the morning and in the rain, so I just felt miserable the whole time, but I managed to make it through. The total run ended up being a 7:36 mile pace.

This morning I set out for 16 miles and it felt a hell of a lot better than that 14 mile run. At one point I had to make sure I wasn't sleep-running because I saw a little kid running barefoot down the sidewalk with oven mitts on his hands....talk about random! The only bad thing about the run was that it was about 70 degrees and humid, but the rain shower near the end made me feel better. Here's a couple of splits...

3.77 miles: 28:45 (7:38 min/mile)
6.63 miles: 50:24 (7:36 min/mile)
11.5 miles: 1:26:22 (7:31 min/mile)
16 miles: 1:58:18 (7:24 min/mile)

I felt good enough to haul ass on the last 3.53 miles, and I clocked those at a 6:58 mile pace. I had made it a point to get a split at 9.56 miles, but I guess I either forgot about it or just didn't push the button on my watch hard enough. Hmmm. All in all, I think it's good to see that I can start out slow and conserve my energy for a good push at the end. This week is a sort of taper week for me, my long run is only gonna be 7-9 miles, and then next week it'll go back up to the double digits.

That's all I got. School starts tomorrow. I have no idea what I'm doing with my life.

1 Comments:

At Mon Aug 28, 08:23:00 AM, Blogger Jess said...

Oh man I hope your band is having better weather than we are. It's been hot and humid every day this week and I feel bad everytime I see them out there in the hot hot sun with no shade to be found anywhere.

Congrats on working your long runs in even with the preseason band stuff! Sounds like you'll be totally prepared for your marathon at the pace your going!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home